Sled Island is seeking volunteers interested in adding their dynamic leadership qualities to our volunteer Board of Directors. The board plays a critical role in the leadership and governance of the festival.
While we encourage applicants from a broad range of backgrounds, an effort will be made to balance the overall skills mix of the current board with individuals who have expertise in one or more of the following areas.
- Finance and treasury (with a professional designation)
- Arts administration, governance or human resources
- Volunteer management
- Fundraising, community investment or sponsorships
Previous board experience is highly valued. Additional skills of interest include the ability to develop strategic partnerships and build consensus. A passion for music and music festivals, Sled Island’s unique programming, making Calgary awesome and a commitment to the role of governance are essential.
A time commitment of approximately 10 hours per month is expected throughout the year. Additional commitment may be required during the festival to support the staff.
Why Volunteer for the Sled Island Board?
- Be part of a music festival that’s at the forefront of venue-based festivals.
- Work with an energetic board that shares a passion for supporting local artists.
- Shape the diverse music and arts landscape of Calgary.
- Attend regular monthly board meetings with the Executive Director.
- Manage/participate in a board committee.
- Provide governance and leadership for the festival.
- Review monthly financial statements.
- Support and participate in sponsorship and fundraising efforts.
- Clearly communicate the role of the festival and ensure that its value and contributions are understood and appreciated by all stakeholders.
Qualifications and Skills
The successful candidate will have:
- A passion and vision for the growth and sustainability of the festival in Calgary and the impact the festival has on its community.
- An appreciation of the festival’s eclectic programming and independent spirit.
- A demonstrated understanding of and experience with the fundamentals of governance and the value of board leadership to an organization undergoing growth.
- An open mind, with the ability to consider multiple and sometimes conflicting points of view in finding solutions.
- High ethical standards.
- An awareness of issues that impact the festival and the role of the festival in the community.
- The ability to network, collaborate and engage with a variety of stakeholders.
How to Apply
We encourage interested candidates for this volunteer position to send a brief email explaining why it is an opportunity you would like to explore, as well as your resume and brief biography, to email@example.com. Alternatively, you can reach out if you have any specific questions or would like to have an exploratory conversation with a member of the Board of Directors first.
Deadline for Submissions: March 31, 2017
Queries can be directed to Chad Saunders, Board Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about Sled Island, please visit our website at sledisland.com.
About Sled Island
Since 2007, Sled Island’s thoughtful, eclectic programming and independent spirit have fused with Calgary’s youthful energy to produce a one-of-a-kind festival experience. Each June, the five-day music and arts festival brings together a community of over 250 bands, comedians, filmmakers and visual artists as well as over 30,000 attendees in more than 35 venues, transforming the city into an arts lover’s paradise that has earned rave reviews from artists, fans and media across the globe.