Honens invites applications and referrals for the position of Director, Marketing and Communications.
The Director, Marketing and Communications reflects Honens’ values of excellence, innovation, integrity and engagement to the world through management of the Honens’ brand and implementation of sound marketing practices. As part of the senior management team, she/he is responsible for developing and implementing an effective marketing and communications strategy for the triennial international piano competition, artist development program, annual festival and community outreach.
- Works with the President and Artistic Director to develop and implement the Honens brand.
- Manages budget, development and execution of the annual marketing campaign.
- Supervises the production and distribution of all publicity and promotional materials locally, nationally and internationally.
- Supervises the box office function of Honens.
- Develops sales strategies to reach ticket revenue targets.
- Analyzes ticket revenue results and adjusts strategies accordingly.
- Builds and maintains strong relationships with marketing, tourism and community partners.
- Assists development team with sponsorship materials and grant writing.
- Collaborates with publicists in national and international markets to develop effective communications strategies.
- Creates and distributes media releases.
- Engages and manages relationships with media partners.
- Hosts visiting media.
- Maintains a style guide for all Honens’ materials and oversees staff in the creation of in-house materials in accordance with the style guide.
- Manages the Honens website to ensure a positive experience for all users.
- Supervises work undertaken to upgrade Honens’ website.
- Leads social media strategy.
- Supervises creation of fresh and innovative online content including video production.
- Oversees database management recordings.
- Assists the Artistic Director in developing a strategy for the release of Honens label recordings.
- Develops and implements a strategy, in collaboration with publicists, for the promotion of Honens label recordings.
- Co-manages Honens label with Artistic Director—manages design and manufacturing of recordings and collaborates with distributors.
Leadership: Manages Marketing Assistant and supervises the Box Office Manager.
Candidate Profile and Attributes:
- Five or more years of experience in a senior marketing role.
- A university degree or equivalent experience.
- Creative thinker.
- Community connector.
- Ability to inspire trust and confidence in stakeholders, ticket-buyers, donors, partners, and volunteers.
- Extraordinary attention to detail.
- Capable of performing under pressure and working to deadlines.
- Team player who is flexible and dedicated to getting the job done.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication (oral/written) skills.
- Proficiency with digital design programs i.e. Photoshop, InDesign.
- Knowledge and interest in the performing arts and classical music is an asset.
Demonstrated Experience in:
- Meeting and exceeding sales goals
- Creative writing
- Inbound marketing
- Planning and reporting
- Building partnerships
- Application Process
Deadline for applications is Friday, March 31, 2017.
Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume with a list of references and salary expectation in confidence to Neil Edwards, President, by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Honens discovers, nurtures and presents Complete Artists—21st-century pianists for 21st-century audiences.
The Honens Piano Competition takes place every three years and is considered one of the world’s most prestigious events of its kind. Honens prepares its Laureates for the rigours and realities of professional careers in music and creates opportunities for growth and exposure. The annual Honens Festival is one of Canada’s premier piano events.
Esther Honens created a legacy of musical excellence to be enjoyed for generations. In 1991, knowing she was near the end of her life, Mrs Honens gave $5 million to endow an international piano competition in her hometown of Calgary. Her generosity, vision and love of music continue to touch the lives of Calgarians, Canadians and musicians and music-lovers around the world. Honens Legacy Partners follow in Esther Honens’ footsteps by securing Honens’ future. They support achievements in realizing Esther Honens’ vision, including wide reaching programming through the annual Festival and enriching community outreach projects.
2017 Honens Festival: September 7 – 10, 2017
2018 Honens Festival & Piano Competition: August 30 – September 8, 2018