Lunchbox Theatre is pleased to invite applications for the position of Production & Operations Manager. We are looking for a dynamic, innovative and collaborative individual who will work with the rest of the Lunchbox team to advance the company’s focus on developing and producing exceptional one-act plays.
From a foundation of noon-hour performances, Lunchbox Theatre strives to create, produce and disseminate original one-act plays, with a focus on new Canadian works, which examine and explore socially relevant issues in a contemporary context. We strive for a balance between works that reflect our audience and their particular world and those that aim to take the audience to a different place and open their eyes to fresh experiences and new understandings.
Now in its 42nd season, Lunchbox Theatre produces six to eight shows per season, as well as the Emerging Director Showcase, the three-week Stage One Festival of New Works, and a touring production, Lunchbox To Go. The theatre has an annual operating budget of approximately $875,000, a staff of eight, and manages its own 105-seat venue at the base of the Calgary Tower. Lunchbox is a member of the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres, operating under the Canadian Theatre Agreement, and offers employment to over 100 artists each season and reaches an audience of 18 to 20,000 each year.
Summary of Position
The Production & Operations Manager is responsible for realizing the designs of the creative team, efficiently managing the production department in the mounting and operating of all shows as well as to arrange for production services, taking into account the availability and efficient use of time, money, people, equipment and space to meet production needs. The Production Manager is also responsible for all facilities rentals and for the overall management and upkeep of all Lunchbox Theatre spaces. The Production Manager will coordinate the flow of information among artistic, administrative and production staff to ensure ongoing smooth operations.
The Production & Operations Manager will work under the direction of the Artistic Producer to plan and supervise the execution of production requirements to ensure the realization of the Theatre’s programming.
- Management of budgets, costing and modification of all production components.
- Management of petty cash.
- The arrangement of procurement/delivery of all production elements.
- Working with directors and designers in realizing production elements.
- Supervision of/participation in the construction and installation of sets, props, lights and sound.
- Organization of dry cleaning/wardrobe maintenance in conjunction with stage management.
- Organization, overseeing and working all fit-ups and strikes.
- Overseeing of all returns in a timely fashion.
- Participation in and management of tech week to ensure any problems that may arise are resolved satisfactorily prior to opening.
- Running of shows when necessary to allow TD/house technician appropriate time off.
- Responsible for running production meetings and taking and disseminating meeting notes.
- Liaising with incoming productions to ensure smooth transitions into the space.
- Assists in the development of the production component of the annual budget with Artistic Producer.
- Develops and implements the production schedule including overall rehearsal and workshop schedules, lighting and sound schedules and providing input relating to the performance schedule.
- Coordinates information related to off-season activities of the theatre.
- Reports to Artistic Producer on production progress.
- Responsible for all rentals, including liaising with renters, creating and maintaining contracts, invoicing and receiving payments.
- Oversees all theatre rentals and organizes staff as necessary.
- Establishes and maintains a safe theatre environment for staff, volunteers and patrons.
- Ensures the theatre and rehearsal halls are maintained to code and that the theatre adheres to all regulations related to health and safety, fire, occupation load.
- Maintains all tools and equipment in good working order.
- Oversees building maintenance and general maintenance of facilities including dressing rooms & green room.
- Oversees the management & inventory of the theatre’s storage spaces both on- and off-site.
- Supervises all facility renovations and equipping of theatre.
- Maintains inventories of tools, props, costumes and building materials.
- Responsible for the issuing of keys to staff as required and ensuring they are returned promptly following productions.
- Responsible for bottle returns.
- Receives training to become the theatre’s Fire Warden and educates other theatre staff.
- Contracting and scheduling work crews and production staff.
- Hires, schedules, and supervises TD/house technician and any additional crew required.
- Ensures that a record of hours worked and cheque requisitions for any hired crew are submitted in a timely fashion to the accountant.
- Responsible for liaising with Stage Management and ensuring they are properly supported and oriented upon their arrival.
To apply please email, in PDF format only, a current CV with a cover letter outlining your qualifications for the position and salary expectations, along with two professional references to samantha.macdonald@
This is a full-time, salaried position. Intended start date is June 19, 2017. Application deadline is May 12, 2017. We thank all who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.