The SANDSTONE City Builder Award was established to recognize artists and/or organizations that make Calgary a better place to live through the arts. The award recognizes and supports individuals and groups who are committed to enriching Calgary through an artistic practice or arts program(s) that are driven by social impact outcomes.
This is a $5,000 cash award, with funds intended to allow an artist or organization the ability to continue their work and expand their impact. The award will be presented to the recipient as part of the Mayor’s Lunch for Arts Champions event in March 2017.
This award was established by SANDSTONE Asset Management and Calgary 2012 and is a legacy project of Calgary’s year as a Cultural Capital of Canada.
About SANDSTONE Asset Management
SANDSTONE Asset Management is committed to enhancing the community in which we live and work. We have a genuine desire to advance the success of Calgary and its citizens by adding financial and social capital to help address our city’s increasingly diverse needs and challenges. We established the SANDSTONE City Builder Award to recognize artists and/or organizations that make Calgary a better place to live through the arts. We strongly believe that Calgary benefits from many artists and organizations that enrich the social wellbeing of our city and that work merits recognition.
Award Rules and Criteria
Nominees for the SANDSTONE City Builder Award must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a Calgary resident since the beginning of the nomination year (2016).
- Be making a social impact via their artistic practice or arts program(s).
Nomination packages must include the following:
- One (1) copy of the nomination form available at the end of this document, signed by both the nominee and nominator.
- One (1) 30-word synopsis of why the nominee has been nominated (this synopsis may be used for publication and media purposes in the event the nominee is selected to receive the award).
- One (1) letter of nomination (1,000 words or less).
- Up to five (5) pieces of support material demonstrating the work of the nominee and their suitability for this award.
Please note these materials must be submitted in the following file formats, and each file can be a maximum of 2MB: JPEG, PDF, DOC, DOCX, MP3, YouTube or Vimeo link.
The awards jury will be composed of artistic peers and community members based in Calgary. Jury members are not disclosed in advance of The Mayor’s Lunch for Arts Champions. In the event of a perceived conflict of interest, an alternate will replace the jury member in question. The jury will operate with strict confidentiality. All decisions are final. Calgary Arts Development may screen nominations to verify eligibility.
The award recipient will be selected based on the following criteria:
Artistic Impact – maximum of five points
- Does the nominee’s work maintain artistic integrity while in pursuit of a social outcome?
- To what extent have the social impacts of the nominee’s work affected their artistic growth?
Impact on the Community – maximum of seven points
- How effectively has the nominee delivered social impact within their artistic practice or arts program(s)?
- What has the impact of the nominee’s work been on individuals and communities?
Impact on the Artist – maximum of three points
- What is the potential impact of this award on the nominee’s future artistic work?
Special Considerations – maximum of one point
- Are there any extenuating considerations that are not addressed by the criteria above?
All nominators and nominees will receive acknowledgement of receipt of nomination by email as soon as it has been successfully uploaded. Nominators and nominees will be notified of whether their nomination was successful in advance of the Mayor’s Lunch for Arts Champions. The recipient will be asked to keep the status of their nomination confidential until the event, and will also be asked to accommodate the filming of a recipient video.
The deadline for uploading of complete nomination packages is 4:30pm on November 28, 2016. Complete applications must be submitted online through the form below on or before the deadline. Incomplete or late nominations will not be accepted or considered. If you have nominated someone and did not receive acknowledgement of receipt of nomination, please contact Kaley Beisiegel at email@example.com.
Before submitting your nomination package, ensure that you have prepared:
- One (1) copy of the nomination form, signed by both the nominee and nominator.
- One (1) copy of a letter of nomination (1,000 words or less) signed by the nominator.
- One (1) copy of a 30-word synopsis of why the nominee has been nominated.
- Up to five (5) pieces* of support material demonstrating the nominee’s work and their suitability for this award.
*Please note that a piece of support material is equal to one piece of the nominee’s work, not one digital file. One file containing five different images of an artist’s work will be considered as five pieces of support material, not one.
Nominations are now closed.
For more information about the SANDSTONE City Builder Award, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Previous Recipients: Onalea Gilbertson (2013), Antyx Community Arts Society (2014), Studio C (2015), Quickdraw Animation (2016), The New Gallery (2017)
Generously supported by: