Alberta Theatre Projects: Director of Development
- Posted by ahendry on May 28th, 2012
JOB POSTING: DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Alberta Theatre Projects (Calgary, AB Canada)
Alberta Theatre Projects (ATP) is a national leader in the creation, presentation and production of contemporary theatre, and one of the province’s most established arts organizations. We annually produce a season of eight plays, including the internationally recognized Enbridge playRites Festival of New Canadian Plays. Our LEGACY program (Lifelong Education and Growth for Artists, Community and Youth) is central to our mission, built on a decades-long spirit of mentorship. Today our company has an annual operating budget of $4.2M, a year-round staff of 18, and employs over 100 artists and craftspeople each year. Our company also holds Endowment Funds of nearly $2.5 million.
Currently we raise approximately $1.5M a year from the private sector, and seek to grow fundraising revenues for artistic operations, for working capital and reserve funds, and for endowment. Current strategies include sustaining our successful corporate sponsorship program, focusing and increasing profitability of our special events program and enhancing our donor-focused philanthropic programs.
Director of Development position:
The Director of Development is a senior member of a high-performance, collaborative administrative team. The position reports to the Managing Director, working closely with the Artistic Director, the Board of Directors and the Development Team, which includes Managers in Individual giving, Sponsorship and Special Events. The Director of Development is responsible for leading and maximizing our company’s contributed revenue programs, and maintaining active and productive relationships with our donors, sponsors, grantors, and volunteers. The Director is an agent of advancement for both the ATP Society and the separately incorporated ATP Foundation, which focuses on future gifts and building long-term assets and endowments.
The successful candidate will have a minimum of 5 years experience in fundraising, sales or marketing and will be able to demonstrate a solid history of revenue generation throughout his or her career. Professional accreditation in the allied professions or a CFRE designation would be a definite asset, as would a desire to earn these credentials over time if not already in place. Experience with Tessitura software, or proficiency in using state of the art fundraising database programs is required.
Specific areas of responsibility include:
• Develops fundraising strategy with the Managing Director and fundraising committees to achieve revenue goals
• Designs, implements and manages all fundraising campaigns, activities, and events including annual giving, major gifts, corporate and foundation giving, planned giving and endowment, and special campaigns.
• Works with Managing and Artistic Directors, Board members, Foundation Trustees and Development Committees to meet fundraising goals.
• Manages all strategies and activities for donor cultivation, solicitation, and relations.
• Advances and strengthens planned-giving program
• Provides and articulates contributed revenue analysis for setting fundraising goals and creating operating budgets
• Assumes responsibility for all Development reports to the Board and other agencies, and attends Board meetings.
Development Office Infrastructure
• Manages a Development Staff of three (Corporate, Individual and Event Coordinators)
• Oversees office systems to support all Development projects and operations.
• Coordinates development research activities.
• A minimum of 5 years professional fundraising, marketing, or sales experience.
• Proven experience in designing and managing successful fundraising campaigns.
• Experience with developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, patrons, community leaders, administrators and artists.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ability to work as a leader and as part of a team.
• Experience in the arts sector or a passion for the arts a big asset
Salary is commensurate with experience, and ATP offers a competitive benefits package and a newly established professional development program.
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis, with a first review of applications on June 22. The ideal start date would be August 15, but is negotiable.
Interested applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to David Shefsiek, Managing Director, at email@example.com or by mail to 220 9 Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2G 5C4