Art Gallery of Calgary: Program Instructor, Public and Education Programs
- Posted by TheAGC on August 1st, 2012
POSITION TITLE: Program Instructor, Public and Education Programs
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Manager, Public and Education Programs
NARRATIVE DESCRIPTION: The Art Gallery of Calgary’s Program Instructors deliver curriculum-based educational school programs to students K-12 and Public Programs in a contemporary art gallery setting. While teaching in-gallery, Program Instructors adapt given program outlines to work within current exhibits and develop new hands-on art projects. Instructors will also be required to deliver educational outreach programs within schools. Instructors may also be required to assist the Manager Public & Educational Programs with research, development and implementation. Working independently and in team situations, Instructors help make contemporary art more accessible to students; acting as ambassadors for the Gallery, Instructors are advocates for contemporary art and are helpful and knowledgeable with the displayed art forms. Instructors are also required to assist with the Public Programs where ever needed, and be an active member in the creation of a participatory setting.
Program Instructor, Public and Education Programs has professional experience in:
• Delivering curriculum-based educational programs for school groups in a contemporary art gallery setting
• Delivering curriculum-based educational outreach programs in a classroom setting
• Adapt at giving program outlines to work within current exhibits and develop new hands-on art projects for Public and Educational programs
• Assist Manager with program development
• Working independently and in team situations to provide excellence in contemporary art education programming
• Attend occasional meetings, program planning and evaluation sessions as scheduled
• Acting as an ambassador for the gallery both on and off duty, and an advocate for contemporary art in general
• Assisting with selected public programs such as First Thursdays on occasion
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Ensure consistent and exceptional quality within all education and public programs.
• Assist in the development, planning, coordination, delivery and evaluation all public and education programs including art workshops, school programs and any additional programs.
• Purchase necessary supplies for all education and public programs keeping within budgetary allocations, as approved by the President & CEO
• Oversee and maintain cleanliness of The Gallery School at all times and related supply room and storage areas.
• Maintain and build relationships among arts education community including those already established (Arts Education Action Committee, Calgary Arts Academy, Society of Educational Resource Groups, among others in development).
• Participate in public speaking engagements including media interviews and public lectures, among others as required
• Additionally, there may be some occasions that you will be required to represent and/or work at The Gallery for evening functions, activities and fundraisers.
• A Bachelors Degree (B.F.A. or B.Ed)
• Post secondary study in art, education, or culture
• A minimum of three years experience working with and teaching children
• Demonstrated ability to instruct/ educate public with relation to art
• Leadership and ability to maintain control and engage of groups of participants
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent organizational skills
• Flexible schedule and dedication is a must
• Keen interest in contemporary art and artists
• Experience in developing and coordinating public education programs for people of all ages
• Works well independently and in teams
• Familiarity and comfort with a variety of art materials and techniques
• Access to your own transportation considered an asset
• Strong work ethic and flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required
• A combination of training, education and experience that is equivalent to the employment qualifications listed above and that provide the required knowledge and abilities.
Please email your resume to Christina at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application Deadline is August 15, 2012.