John Snow House: Director Position
- Posted by yeon on May 28th, 2012
The New Gallery (TNG), Calgary’s original artist-run centre, is seeking a part-time, contracted staff member from July to November 2012 to develop and maintain its exciting ancillary space, the John Snow House (JSH).
Established in 1975, TNG is a publicly funded, not-for-profit society dedicated to the presentation and promotion of contemporary art in Calgary. In over its more than 35 years as an organization, TNG has exhibited the work of hundreds of local, national, and international artists. To complement its exhibition spaces TNG established JSH, a community-driven cultural space mandated to serve as a resource centre and as a flexible-use facility. JSH is available to other organizations and artists of all disciplines for special events and general collaboration.
As the person charged with overseeing and developing this exciting new initiative, the JSH Director will have two primary responsibilities: (1) promoting, scheduling and coordinating the use of the space among various organizations and individuals; (2) caring for and maintaining the space, including the Resource Centre.
Candidates for this unique position should have experience in the arts, artist-run culture and information management. The successful applicant will be passionate about the Calgary arts community, highly organized, and have strong communication skills. In addition, good research skills, attention to detail, the ability to manage volunteers and work independently in a largely unsupervised environment are essential. Finally, proven grant writing abilities are a considerable asset. Please note that some training will be provided.
Specific duties may include:
Public Relations and Outreach
● Promote JSH and act as a liaison between the space and the community at large (e.g. attendance at openings for other galleries, public lectures, JSH promotional events, etc.)
● Raise awareness of JSH, the resource centre, and events through social networking
● Initiate contact and foster relationships with other similar arts and cultural organizations to develop long-term programs and explore potential partnerships
● Prepare and distribute JSH related press releases and packages. Act as a liaison between the media and JSH, and its programs
● Provide input on the design, proofing, printing and distribution of promotional materials, such as invitation cards and TNG’s web site, especially as related to the JSH
● Coordinate and attend regular and special events presented by TNG and JSH
General Operations and Management
● Implement and refine policies and long-range planning for the facility, services and collection
● Secure ongoing stable funding for the operations within JSH through research, writing and editing grant applications
● Plan and allocate JSH budgets in cooperation with TNG’s Administrative Director.
● Create electronic records for digital assets and for Resource Centre periodicals, catalogues and books, as well as maintain physical collections of books and slides
● Scan slides and photographs to create digital images, and digital image editing
● Edit/proofread TNG publications as they relate to JSH events
● Coordinate facility rentals for events
● Respond to public inquiries about JSH, the Resource Centre and its programs
● Organize and supervise volunteers and part-time, temporary employees
● Oversee the opening, closing and security of JSH
● Maintain the residence and ensures that all activities are carried out with respect for the space and legacy of John Snow
● Light housekeeping and gardening
● Reception duties: welcoming visitors, answering questions and telephone/e-mail inquiries, and monitoring voice mail
Board of Directors
● Attend Board meetings, vision meetings, committee meetings and workshops as required
● Attend occasional meetings with the President, HR Committee and Treasurer as required
● Provide the BOD with accurate and timely monthly reports concerning the JSH Director's activities
● Provide input on the growth and changes of the operations of JSH
Individuals interested in this unique position should submit a letter of application, CV, and the names, e-mail addresses and telephone numbers of three professional references to the attention of the TNG Hiring Committee by (1) email to email@example.com (preferred method of receipt); (2) fax to Su Strang at 403-290-1714; or (3) mail to:
The New Gallery
212, 100 - 7th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2P 0W4
RE: John Snow House Director
The letter of application should address the responsibilities, qualifications, and experiences listed for the position.
Submission Deadline: Saturday, June 16th, 2012
TNG is an equal opportunity employer, and is interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people who are representative of the Province’s diversity.
For more information about The New Gallery, please visit http://www.thenewgallery.org/