Alberta Theatre Projects is in its 47th Season producing live, professional, contemporary theatre in Calgary. ATP has a new Executive & Artistic Director who brings a fresh perspective and a compelling vision for the future of our organization.
Our Mission is to create live theatre by telling relevant stories that reflect our community, to develop the work of Canadian artists to invite a diverse audience and to explore intimate and immersive experiences in our home, the Martha Cohen Theatre.
ATP’s current season includes five plays: The Virgin Trial, Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, Zorro: Family Code, Café Daughter, and The New Canadian Curling Club. So far, our 2018/19 season is receiving outstanding reviews by theatregoers and critics alike with the Calgary Herald calling our work “world class.” Alberta Theatre Projects will return to six plays in three different seating configurations (Proscenium, Thrust, & Cabaret) for our recently announced 2019-20 Season: The Wedding Party, Disgraced, The Lion, The Witch & The Wardrobe, Old Stock: A Refugee Love Story, Actually, and Cowgirl Up.
About the Position
The General Manager is the glue that holds together our wonderfully eclectic mixture of people, projects and priorities. The General Manager will manage our team and our day-to-day operations including Finance, Administration, Human Resources, Marketing & Sales. The General Manager will report to the Executive & Artistic Director (EAD). We are looking for an energetic and collaborative leader that can hit the ground running and rally the team around our key priorities.
- Promote Alberta Theatre Projects’ vision and mission.
- In collaboration with the EAD, complete development of a new Strategic Plan.
- Align the work of the team to the ATP Strategic Plan.
- Develop a positive environment for team members that facilitates open communication and increases engagement.
- Work collaboratively with the EAD, production and artistic teams to achieve goals and priorities.
- Oversee daily business operations.
- Build relationships with other theatre companies in Calgary and stay connected to best practices within the industry.
Human Resource Management:
- Develop efficient and effective people plan for delivering administrative services for ATP.
- Participate in the recruitment, selection, orientation and ongoing assessment of new team members.
- Utilize a performance and development process to facilitate on-going performance conversations with team members.
- Develop and administer all people and administrative policies and processes.
- Jointly with the Executive Director & Artistic Director, develop annual budget and forecasts for presentation to the finance committee and the board.
- Responsible for full cycle accounting with financial statement preparation and analysis including, accounts payable and receivable, cash flow and variances, overseeing payroll, and issuing of cheques, employee records, and tax receipts.
- Monitor and review expenditures to ensure they stay within budget guidelines.
- Proactively identify potential problems, concerns and shortfalls (against budget) and in consultation with the Executive Director & Artistic Director, either implement solutions or recommend solutions to the Finance Committee.
- Cash flow analysis and management.
- Audit preparation and coordination.
- Collaborate with the EAD & Marketing Manager to create sales revenue targets, including marketing, public relations activities and promotional events for season and ticket sales campaigns.
- Oversee all marketing, ticketing, sales and front of house teams.
Education and Experience:
- Five+ years of relevant management experience in theatre or arts administration.
- Five+ years of experience with managing full cycle accounting and budgeting.
- CRM Database experience, ideally Tessitura.
- Experience preparing grant applications and all required government correspondence.
Nice to Haves
Skills and Abilities:
- A can-do attitude and a willingness to go above and beyond when necessary.
- Very strong organizational skills, including balancing multiple responsibilities and effectively meeting deadlines.
- Very strong planning and project management skills—being able to plan and execute on identified deliverables which generally have timelines of three to 12 months.
- Excellent technical skills with advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office products, especially Excel, experience with Quickbooks is an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (written and verbal).
- Strong, proven ability to manage, coach and mentor direct reports.
- Proven ability to work independently as well as within a team environment.
- Very strong customer service orientation.
- Being adaptable and able to work in a changing environment.
- Available for occasional evening and weekend work.
Please email a letter of interest and resume by email to Darcy Evans, Executive & Artistic Director email@example.com.
Review of applications will begin March 29, 2019, 5:00pm MST. Applications will continue to be accepted until the position is filled. To receive full consideration, please apply by the deadline.
Alberta Theatre Projects is committed to reflecting the diversity of our community. We believe in equity and inclusion and strongly encourage submissions from all qualified individuals regardless of gender, age, race, sexual orientation, and physical ability.
Thank you to all applicants. Only those selected for interviews will be contacted. For more information about Alberta Theatre Projects please visit our website, albertatheatreprojects.com.