The Millican-Ogden Community Public Art Project Team in Partnership with The City of Calgary is looking for an artist from Millican-Ogden or a Calgary artist with close ties to the neighbourhood to help tell Millican-Ogden’s story through public art.
The selected artist will create a mural to be installed on a city-approved fence in Millican-Ogden along 72 Ave. SE between 20a street and 22 St. SE. The artist will be contracted by The City of Calgary. The contract will include artist’s participation in community engagement that will help determine artwork for the neighbourhood.
The all-inclusive artist budget for this project is $8,000.
Submission Deadline: Please submit all required information (listed below) to Robert Dickinson at email@example.com Attention: Millican-Ogden Community Art Mural Project on or before January 11, 2019, at 4:00pm.
Artist must be approved by The City of Calgary and will be reviewed by the Millican-Ogden-Community Public Art Project Team.
If interested, please send:
- A current CV.
- Letter of interest detailing:
- Interest in the project.
- Vision and potential approach for involving the community.
- Availability over the projected timelines.
- Description of past project work of a similar scope and budget.
- Images, no more than five, demonstrating related experience and ability to undertake this project. Images should be identified with title, date, medium and location/context.
- Two professional references with up-to-date contact information including email and phone number(s).
The artist should expect to meet the following criteria as part of this project:
- Understand Millican-Ogden and its identifying features, values and character.
- Involve community residents, in some way, in the development of the artwork.
- Interpret these elements into public artworks for the designated location.
- Artwork should last three to five years.
- The artist should ensure that the materials used and the designs created are graffiti deterrent.
- Artwork should be easy to view by car as well as on foot.
Community engagement and detailed design to be completed early in the first quarter of 2019. Project installation to be completed in the second quarter of 2019.
If artists require more information, please contact Robert Dickinson, Neighbourhood Partnership Coordinator, City of Calgary firstname.lastname@example.org.
This community public art project is part of the This is my neighborhood program. The City of Calgary created This is my neighbourhood as a way to help residents identify how their community could become an even better place to live, work and play.
In partnership with The City, residents of Millican-Ogden developed the following community vision:
Millican-Ogden values feeling safe walking around the community, having multiple options for being active, and resident who care about having a clean and beautiful neighbourhood.
This is my neighbourhood gives residents a voice and encourages them to take an active role in shaping the future of their neighbourhood.
For more information on the engagement done in Millican-Ogden, visit calgary.ca.
Visit our opportunities for artists page for more information at calgary.ca/opportunitites.