Join the Spark team to transform lives and inspire the future! And, while you’re at work, take the opportunity to discover what makes the world around us so undeniably fascinating.
Spark is a place for people of all ages and abilities to explore and discover science, technology, engineering, art and math through creative and entertaining experiences. If you would like to inspire yourself and others in this environment, Spark is currently accepting applications for a permanent full-time Director of Business Development and Marketing to join our team!
The Director, Business Development and Marketing is accountable for the development and implementation of all marketing, communications, branding and business development strategies and tactics that create long term value for the guest experience and drive revenue growth to support the mission of TELUS Spark.
This position leads all marketing and business development initiatives. This includes the annual marketing and business development plan, budgets, partnerships, asset development and delivery, media planning, sales strategies and material distribution.
Strategy & Planning:
- Lead strategic marketing development and execution and lead the growth of the brand and revenues through marketing, communications and business development.
- Develop the annual marketing plan and corresponding budgets for tactics, business and revenue priorities, and overall brand and reputation.
- Ensure the delivery of optimal results against objectives and against appropriate performance metrics. Establish, monitor, measure and report on performance metrics.
- Develop, propose and manage annual budget requirements for all marketing and communications and business development functions.
- Develop and implement marketing and media plans with clear timelines and priorities for other departments.
- Ensure the marketing team effectively supports the mission, long-term vision, and public brand of Spark, through excellence in marketing, media relations, communications, business development and strong relationships with management.
- Develop and lead the marketing and business development team.
- Identify, acquire and develop the talent pool to deliver effective marketing, branding and business development that promotes the revenue and mission of TELUS Spark.
- Recommend, develop and maintain close marketing partner relationships, as well as strong relationships with stakeholders, suppliers, business networks and community partners to enhance the organization’s standing in the local market.
- Effectively manage vendors and negotiate contracts to accomplish operational objectives and control costs.
Marketing & Communications:
- Lead, report on and leverage market research to assess and plan for the success of marketing campaigns
- Deliver high impact, cost-efficient digital communications on all related platforms (website, social media channels).
- Lead media relations and social media strategy.
- Lead the contracting out of services (e.g. design, creative development, physical production and/or media implementation) and provide oversight for agency direction and media buying plan.
- Remain current on market research and trends in marketing, media relations, communications, business development, analyze data and react to the same.
- Establish communication templates, baselines and benchmarks.
Brand & Reputation:
- Ensure the brand is managed appropriately across employee, partner and vendor bases.
- With input from other operating departments, lead the marketing, communications, brand and business development strategy, tone and execution.
- Ensure the alignment of the creative direction for all organizational products and programs.
- Ensure the requirements, standards, objectives of the brand are understood, effectively communicated and implemented throughout the organization.
- Work with internal and external partners to develop collateral to promote not only the earned revenue areas but also the science centre “experience.”
- Develop project/program campaigns that deliver on operational targets for brand and revenue.
- Ensure the work produced meets requirements for audience influence, safety, visitor use/engagement, operational effectiveness and ease of ongoing maintenance.
- Ensure strategic and accurate content that supports the brand on all digital platforms.
- Develop and implement a strategy to increase sales across earned revenue streams (including but not limited to: facility sales, cafe, call centre, retail store, camps, sleepovers, adult education, daily attendance, and memberships).
- Conduct research to identify new markets and guest needs.
- Build long term relationships with new and existing guest/customers.
- Initiate opportunities for partnerships and alliances that enhance the value proposition for visitors, while attaining projected attendance objectives.
- Identify new business leads and/or markets.
- Create and/or implement tracking mechanisms to understand increases in volume, growth, revenue by program or offering.
- Build brand strength and enable monetization of the brand, correlating financial performance between brand investments and business growth rates.
- Establish effective relationships with customers, prepare presentations and or pitches, coordinate and attend client meetings, write and distribute any related business development collateral and track and evaluate proposals.
- Related degree required and 10+ years of progressive marketing and business development management experience.
- Five+ years of experience leading a team to achieve financial targets.
- Proven experience in customer and market research.
- Proven experience in developing and implementing a strategic business development plan.
- Demonstrated experience in the development and implementation of integrated, multichannel advertising campaigns and strategies.
- Proven experience in agency management.
- Demonstrated leadership skills and decision making/negotiating ability.
- Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and deadlines.
- Experience in working in both for profit and not for profit environment would be considered an asset.
The successful candidate will be required to work occasional evenings and weekends and must successfully complete a criminal record check.
To apply interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and salary expectations, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please put Director, Business Development and Marketing in the subject line of your email application.
Closing Date: Interested candidates can submit their application, in confidence, by April 26, 2019, 12:00pm.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. TELUS Spark is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.