Deadline: June 1, 2019
The New Gallery (TNG) is an artist-run centre located in Calgary Chinatown on the traditional territories of the people of the Treaty 7 region in Southern Alberta which includes the Blackfoot Confederacy (comprising the Siksika, Piikani, and Kainai First Nations), the Stoney Nakoda (including the Chiniki, Bearspaw, and Wesley First Nations), and the Tsuut’ina First Nation. Mohkínstsis/Calgary is also home to Métis Nation of Alberta, Region III.
This summer, under the guidance of the Calgary Chinese Community Service Association and Chinatown District BIA, TNG will contribute a new work to the mural alley behind the historic Canton Block in Calgary Chinatown. TNG is currently welcoming applications for mural concepts, to be completed by August 31, 2019.
The two-storey backside of TNG’s Main Space will be transformed into a mural, adding another piece to the alley’s significant collection which “share[s] stories about the roots of the Chinese community in Calgary.”
You can read about and view other Calgary Chinatown murals organized by the CCCSA by visiting thenewgallery.org.
The selected artist will be awarded an artist fee of $2,000 to complete the mural, with an additional $1,000 available for costs associated with the fabrication and production of the piece. The wall will be pressure washed and primed in advance.
This project was made possible through support from the Calgary Foundation and through the expertise of our friends at the Calgary Chinese Community Service Association and Chinatown District BIA.
The following materials should be included in your application:
- Proposal: Briefly describe the concept for your proposed mural. Provide complete details of your spatial, physical, and material requirements, including any special equipment and/or technical needs. Please ensure you specifically address the goal of the mural which is to share[s] stories about the roots of the Chinese community in Calgary.
- Artist Statement: Discuss how your proposed mural is situated in relation to your current artistic practice and the broader context of your work, research, and interests.
- Support: Please include up to 10 pieces of additional support material, including digital images and videos alongside a corresponding numbered image list detailing the artwork’s title, medium, dimensions, date of completion, and any other necessary descriptors. TNG’s peer jury will review up to a maximum of five minutes of time-based work. TNG accepts links to video and audio work hosted online.
- Curriculum Vitae: Describe your artistic background to a maximum length of three pages. Please include all relevant contact information.
- Accommodations: TNG is committed to supporting artists who may require accommodations to fairly access this application process. If you require any accommodations, please call us at 403.233.2399, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Accommodations Request.
TNG only accepts digital submissions via email. Please format all written materials as a single PDF document. Images must be numbered RGB JPG files with a maximum resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels at 72DPI and no larger than 1MB in size. E-mailed applications must be submitted in a single ZIP folder containing both documents and images.
Send completed submission packages to ATTN: Programming Committee, Community Mural, email@example.com
For a translated document, visit thenewgallery.org.