The Second Story Art Society O/A TRUCK Contemporary Art is a non-profit artist-run centre dedicated to the development and public presentation of contemporary art. Established in 1983 as The Second Story Art Society, TRUCK provides a forum for the production and dissemination of contemporary art and related cultural practices in Calgary, on Treaty 7 territory in the Southern Alberta region.
TRUCK supports artists and artistic communities through exhibition programming, lectures, screenings, performances, publications, commissions, off-site and public programs, residencies, community collaborations, engagement and outreach, and advocacy activities.
Our exhibitions and public programming initiatives aim to connect the artistic community in Calgary, to global discourses on contemporary art, national partners in the artist-run sector, and the general public. Our goal is the advancement of contemporary art and the enrichment of local, national, and international communities today and into the future.
Call for Board Members
TRUCK is currently seeking board members to serve a two-year volunteer term (renewable) who will bring dedication, energy, and experience to the organization. We are seeking folks with a broad range of knowledge and skills, including accounting, fundraising and development, human resources, communications and marketing, and who have a strong interest in contemporary art practices. We especially welcome applications from artists, writers, curators, cultural workers and those with previous board experience.
TRUCK values diversity and inclusivity in our communities. We highly encourage applications from visible minority group members, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
- An interest in contemporary art and commitment to the work of the organization.
- Willingness to serve on committees.
- Attendance at monthly board meetings, committee meetings.
- Support of, and participation in, TRUCK activities (fundraising, programming activities, etc.).
- Ability to contribute specific skills and attributes in one or more areas of board governance.
Board directors are fully informed on organizational matters and participate in the board’s deliberations and decisions in the matters of policy, finance, programs, personnel and advocacy, including:
- Approve, where appropriate, policy and other recommendations received from the board, its standing committees and staff.
- Monitor all board policies.
- Review the bylaws and policy manual and recommend bylaw changes as appropriate.
- Review the board’s structure, approve changes and prepare necessary bylaw amendments.
- Participate in the development of TRUCK’s organizational plan and annual review.
- Approve the annual budget.
- Approve hiring and release of staff, and develop appropriate job descriptions and contracts for staff.
- Assist in developing and maintaining positive relations among the board, committees, staff members and the community to enhance TRUCK’s ability to achieve its goals.
If you feel like TRUCK might be a good fit for you, please send a statement of interest (max. one page) and resume to TRUCK Executive Director Ginger Carlson at email@example.com. Potential applicants are invited to contact the TRUCK director in advance of submitting their applications if they have any questions regarding TRUCK and/or board member requirements and duties.
Nominations will be evaluated by the current board and staff and successful candidates will be invited to interview. The deadline for nominations is June 7, 2019. Successful applicants will be nominated to the board at TRUCK’s upcoming annual general meeting on June 25, 2019.
TRUCK is committed to accommodating applicants with barriers to the recruitment procedures outlined above. Please notify us if you require accommodation with respect to the materials or procedures used at any time during this process, and we will work with you to determine how to meet your needs.