Reporting to the President and CEO for operating purposes and to the Secretary-Treasurer for direction and completion of the financial reporting and related duties for National Music Centre (NMC) and its subsidiaries, the Director of Finance is an integral member of the senior leadership management team with the appropriate skills and qualifications to perform and oversee the financial department(s) of NMC.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the management of accounting functions, including payroll, accounts payable, accounts receivable, capital assets, investments, debt and cash flow.
- Maintain all accounting records for NMC in accordance with CICA generally accepted accounting principles.
- Review monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements. Distribute reports to department managers to facilitate management of resources and forecasting of financial position. Offer advice to the department on accounting transactions.
- Prepare narrative text and supporting documentation to accompany distribution of financial statements to the board, banks, and funding partners.
- Manage the annual budgeting process and related forecast variance analysis. Collaborate with departments and corporate groups to align the budget with the strategic plan.
- Prepare the financial section of the Annual Report to the Community.
- Arrange and coordinate annual external financial audits, preparing auditing working papers including use of CaseWare software.
- Prepare material for and attend Finance & Audit Committee meetings.
- Report to Audit Committee, Ad Hoc Board Committees or Board of Directors as requested by President or the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Manage tax planning and compliance with charity and corporate business tax laws (GST, T3010, T4A’s, tax receipts).
- Review and update HR policies and benefits packages in collaboration with other departments.
- Cash management oversight including reviewing and approving weekly cash flow requirements.
- Monitoring and reporting on the performance of investments and compliance with NMC’s Investment Policy.
- Responsible for insurance policy renewal for Property, Directors and Officers, Key-man and collections and report to the Board on risks identified.
- Develop, implement, and maintain appropriate systems and software for financial systems.
- Ensure effective internal controls are in place for the security of systems and data.
- Supervision and training of accounting staff.
- Review and approval of contracts and cheques in accordance with signing authority.
- Develop, implement and manage policies and procedures relating to financial resources.
- Maintains open and effective relationships with partner organizations, banks government and funders.
- Responsible for ensuring the organization’s compliance with debt covenants and related reporting requirements.
- Provide financial support across all departments working closely with senior staff to ensure that budgets are closely monitored and accurate.
- Completion of Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation with 10 years of post-graduation experience.
- Sound verbal and written communication skills.
- Team player philosophy; it is critical to integrate with the existing operations personnel.
- Practical experience in corporate accounting, cash management, tax return preparation and financial reporting.
- Professional approach to individual conduct.
- Flexibility and the ability to adapt to change.
- Demonstrated ability to assume a leadership role and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients, colleagues, volunteers, and members of the public.
- It would be beneficial to have experience with not-for-profit organizations, and working in a MAC operating system.
- An organized approach to day-to-day tasks; strong computer skill set, including proficiency in the use of computerized accounting systems, spreadsheets (Excel), databases and word processing (Word Doc) applications.
Location: Studio Bell, home of the National Music Centre (300, 851 4th St. SE)
Qualified applicants should send resume and cover letter to Stephanie Pahl, Chief of Staff to the President and CEO at email@example.com on or before Friday, March 22, 2019.
Please ensure that your full name is in the file name (ex: Smith_John_cover_letter_resume) and the subject line of your email is Director of Finance Application. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
No phone calls please.