The Visitor Services Assistant is a part-time position responsible for shaping the visitor experience at Studio Bell. This position reports to the Manager, Visitor and Venue Services and is supervised by the Visitor Services Coordinator.
Visitor Services Assistants are responsible for assisting with Front-Of-House (FOH) operations at Studio Bell including greeting and welcoming visitors and members, taking admissions, selling memberships and concert tickets, as well as providing orientation to Studio Bell and Calgary to a local and international audience. Visitor Services Assistants will also assist in handling incoming phone calls and manage the general email inbox.
Applicants for this position must be available to work weekends and evenings, and a background check is required as part of the recruitment process.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing a high quality of customer service for a memorable visitor experience.
- Assisting with the general reception and visitor services, meeting and greeting the general public.
- Taking admissions and selling memberships via point-of-sale (POS) and on-line systems.
- Promote and sell NMC memberships.
- Keeping current with the NMC collection, exhibits, programs and events at Studio Bell in order to relay accurate information.
- Handling entrance queues.
- Answering the main telephone line: responding to public inquiries, selling tickets and memberships over the phone, booking tours and photo shoots, forwarding calls to appropriate staff members.
- Handle and balance cash and related paper entries; opening and closing procedures.
- Assist with the promotion and sales of NMC sponsored and hosted concerts, and events.
- Booking private tours and wedding photo shoots.
- Actively participation in NMC sponsored training sessions.
- Tracking and reporting visitor feedback.
- Providing conflict resolution among visitors, staff and volunteers according to established procedures.
- Following Health and Safety standards and operations for Studio Bell to ensure a safe visitor experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate should possess:
- Previous experience in customer service, retail and/or hospitality is an asset.
- Knowledge and comfort with POS and cash handling.
- Proficiency in MS Word and Excel.
- Must enjoy interacting with the public, meeting new people, collaborating with internal staff, and partnering with volunteers.
- Possess excellent communication skills and fluency in English.
- Have the ability to communicate with visitors of all ages and demographics.
- The ability to anticipate, understand and respond to the needs of all visitors to meet or exceed their expectations and establish an outstanding experience.
- Be able to assess situations to determine the importance, urgency and risks, and make clear decisions to ensure the safety and security of visitors.
- Have general knowledge and interest in music, the city of Calgary, and local tourist attractions.
- Experience as a volunteer or working with volunteers.
- Must be available to work weekends and evenings.
- Fluency in French or another second language would be an asset.
Location: Studio Bell, home of National Music Centre (859 4th St. SE)
Qualified applicants should send resume in PDF form by Friday, January 18, 2019.
Please ensure that your full name is in the file name (ex: Smith_Jane_cover_letter_resume) and the subject line of your email is Visitor Services Assistant. Send applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please.