Recent arts engagement survey confirms Calgarians value the arts
A recent arts engagement survey confirms that 92% of Calgarians engage with the arts; 89% believe that developing local artists of all kind is a good thing for Calgary; 87% believe arts and culture venues make life in Calgary better, 86% believe the arts bring people together and enable people to connect, and 79% believe that a strong arts and culture scene is key to creating a vibrant, safe and prosperous city.
Other key highlights of the engagement survey include:
- Technology plays a significant role in arts engagement, especially among younger Calgarians.
- Women generally have stronger connections to the arts than men.
- Family groups appear to have stronger connections to the arts than those without children.
- Music is amongst the most meaningful art forms.
- Arts engagement appears tied to length of time in Calgary, with the highest levels among the newest Calgarians.
- Live arts attendance is alive and well in Calgary.
Calgarian Engagement Survey Background
In the fall of 2016, Calgary Arts Development contracted Stone-Oafson to conduct a Calgary arts engagement survey to:
- Understand arts engagement in Calgary.
- Gauge Calgarians’ interest in attending various arts events.
- Examine Calgarians’ attitudes toward the arts and its impact on communities.
A total of 1,047 Calgarians completed the online survey, providing a margin of error of +/-3.03%. The sample was weighted to ensure representation by age and gender.