December 13, 2017 Investment Programs Calgary Arts Development is pleased to announce the investment programs for 2018. A program review was undertaken in 2017, and new investment programs have been developed to increase funding to individual artists, and to incorporate the values of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Through this program review, the Organization Opportunity Grant Program has been discontinued, and its clients will be integrated into the refreshed Operating Grant Program. The Artist Opportunity, Small Experiments, and Project Grant programs have been folded into a single program for Individual Artists. The Artist Opportunity Grant will run its final intake with a deadline in late January 2018. As public funders, responsible for investing for public benefit, it is incumbent upon us to better understand the needs of Indigenous artists. Through the first part of the year, Calgary Arts Development will undertake an inclusive design process with Indigenous artists and leaders to develop an investment program that will be implemented in the latter part of the year. For questions about the 2018 Investment Programs, please contact the Community Investment team at 403.476.2031 or firstname.lastname@example.org. 2018 Program Overview Operating Grant and Organization Opportunity Grant Programs The Organization Opportunity Grant will be discontinued in 2018. Organizations who received funds from the Organization Opportunity Grant in 2016 and 2017 will apply to the Operating Grant in a stream of their choice. Organizations that received grants of $3,000 or less in 2017 will be guaranteed at least that amount in 2018, with the opportunity to compete for increased investment. Organizations that received grants of more than $3,000 in 2017 will be guaranteed 90% of that amount, with the opportunity to compete for increased investment from the remaining 10%. Funding amounts will be determined for a two-year cycle. Organizations will receive the same amount in 2019 as in 2018 with the submission of an interim report. Organizations not funded through the Operating or Organization Opportunity Grant in 2016 and 2017 will not be eligible to apply to the Operating Grant in 2018. The Fair Notice Policy has been updated. Please refer to the Operating Grant Program page for full program guidelines, criteria, and further information. Artist Opportunity Grant Program The Artist Opportunity Grant will run a final intake with a deadline on January 29, 2018. Individual artists may apply to the Individual Artist Program for future professional development opportunities for the remainder of the year. Please refer to the Artist Opportunity Grant Program page for full program guidelines, criteria and further information. Individual Artist Program The Small Experiments, Artist Opportunity, and Project Grant programs have been consolidated into a single deadline for Individual Artists in 2018. This program is intended to support all aspects of an artist’s practice and artistic goals by removing financial barriers. Funds from this program may go towards almost any combination of activities related to an artist’s practice, including development and creation of work, professional development and learning, and innovation or risk-taking. Artists may apply for a set grant of either $5,000 or $10,000. Activities using these funds must be complete by May 31, 2019. Artists may choose to use these funds for any aspect of their artistic practice, including work undertaken as part of an artist collective, group, or organization, but the application must always focus on their individual practice or goals. Please refer to the Individual Artist Program page for full program guidelines, criteria and further information. Indigenous Relations As public funders, responsible for investing for public benefit, it is incumbent upon us to better understand the needs of Indigenous artists. In 2016 The City of Calgary released White Goose Flying, articulating the city’s response to the calls to action in the Truth and Reconciliation Commission and adopted an Indigenous Policy Framework, providing excellent groundwork for Calgary Arts Development to expand our relationships with Indigenous artists and communities. Throughout 2017 Calgary Arts Development has been developing those relationships to understand how through the arts we can contribute to right relations between Indigenous and non-Indigenous people. These relationships have been forged through our Aisinna’Kiiks Dinner Series. In the first half of 2018, Calgary Arts Development will begin a process to create a new granting program with Indigenous artists that is rooted in Indigenous ways of knowing. This new granting program will be available in the second half of 2018 and we look forward to sharing the details of this new grant program with the arts community.